How to get rid of bed bugs and prevention tips
How to get rid of bed bugs and prevention tips
Discovering bed bugs in your home, while traveling, or even while visiting a loved one is daunting and never pleasant. Bed bugs themselves are known as parasitic insects, providing little to no benefit to their surrounding environment. When bed bugs infest a home or property, it can quickly become an issue that results in a loss of furniture and personal belongings, especially if it is not addressed immediately and with a proper resolution.
Understanding the basics of bed bugs, how to prevent them from entering your home, and what to do if you discover bed bugs is essential to gain peace of mind while keeping you and your family safe and protected at all times.
What are the Dangers of Bed Bugs?
While bed bugs are commonly referred to as parasitic insects, they do not typically pose life-threatening risks to humans, even after they feed. Bed bugs are extremely small and can be difficult to discover during the day as they are nocturnal. Bed bugs typically live within creases of beds, furniture, and even in suitcases after leaving from a hotel or home that is also infested with the bugs. At night, bed bugs are known for biting individuals and living off of their blood. However, bed bugs do not often lead to serious medical issues unless the bites themselves become too itchy. Scratching bed bug bites repeatedly can lead to a secondary skin infection, depending on the seriousness of the scratch itself.
Bed Bug Prevention Tips
Preventing bed bugs is possible by always remaining aware of your surroundings, especially when you are traveling out of town, out of the country, or even to a friend or family member’s home. Always inspect each mattress you sleep on, lifting cracks removing sheets before placing them back on and resting. Whenever you stay in a hotel or in a foreign location, inspect the space and mattress for specks of blood as this is a common sign of a bed bug infestation. Steer clear of any space that you believe may be infested with bed bugs.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Your Home
Getting rid of bed bugs in your home does not have to feel stressful and overwhelming, especially if you have access to local professionals who specialize in pest control and eliminating bed bugs. Once you have determined that you have a current bed bug infestation, there are a few steps to take to help minimize the risk of spreading the infestation and problem even more:
- Remove all of the sheets on each bed throughout your home and wash them immediately. Using a heat-treating solution in your wash cycle can help kill off and eliminate current bed bugs.
- Inspect all of your mattresses as you check for bed bugs and specks of blood
- Use heat to help with killing off additional bed bugs you may discover within your mattresses or other areas of your home. Heat is one of the quickest ways to kill existing parasitic insects such as bed bugs.
- Call a professional control service in your area. Working together with a professional bed bug control company is one of the quickest ways to gain peace of mind after you have discovered that you are dealing with an intense bug infestation.
One of the best ways to eliminate bed bug pests from your home is to consider heat treatment solutions. Heat treatments for bed bugs help to kill of bed bugs using high temperatures which are not suitable for life. With heat, it is much easier to guarantee that the bed bugs are completely gone from your bedroom or throughout your home.
Benefits of Working With a Professional Company
While it may be tempting to address the issue of bed bugs in your home alone, it is highly advisable to work together with a professional exterminator that specializes in treating bed bugs in residential and commercial properties. A professional bed bug control company understands the seriousness of having a bug infestation. Additionally, pest control companies arrive well-equipped with the proper chemicals and heat treatment solutions necessary to address your bug issue head-on while also removing them as quickly as possible from your home and surrounding property.
Additionally, some of the advantages of working together with a professional company include:
- Get Educated: Learn more about bed bugs, how they likely entered your home, and the best ways to prevent them from infesting your home again. Ask bed bug control professionals about prevention tips based on your climate and their own professional experience.
- Proper Plan of Action: A professional bed bug control company that specializes in treating bed bugs and other home pests are well-versed in a wide variety of treatment options. Whether you require chemicals, heat treatment solutions, or alternative treatments, a pest control company can help choose the right plan of action for you.
- Guarantee: Many professional bed bug control companies provide clients with a warranty or guarantee for their services. Before choosing a professional pest control company to help with your bug infestation, be sure to inquire about any warranties or guarantees you are provided. A great professional exterminator provides warranties or guarantees to all clients because they are confident in the work they do and the results they deliver.
Although bed bugs are not considered inherently dangerous or life-threatening to humans, they are parasitic and only provide discomfort and uneasiness for those who currently have them in their home. With the right professional exterminator company, gain peace of mind knowing the parasites have been properly eradicated with the use of heat treatment and various solutions specifically designed with bed bugs in mind. Taking the time to research and locate a reputable professional pest control company is a way for you to eliminate the bed bugs in your house without allowing the infestation to spread and damage even more of your property.